Corvallis, Ore., March 11, 2020 – We have signed George Fox University pitcher Austin Hallman…
Happy Friday, everyone, from the world-wide headquarters (WWHQ) of the Corvallis Knights, your 2016-2017 West Coast League champions!
Two alums from our 2012 WCL runners-up have signed free-agent minor league contracts.
Outfielder Nick Torres (pictured, above), formerly with the San Diego Padres, has signed with Texas. Drafted in the fourth round (117th overall) by the Padres in 2014, he reached triple-A with El Paso in 2016 and played at double-A San Antonio in 2017.
He played with the Kansas City T-Bones in the independent American Association before signing with the Rangers and hit .329 (76-231) in 55 games, with five homers and 43 RBIs. Nick played at Cal Poly; for more on that story, please click here.
Pitcher Trevor Frank has signed with the Mariners after spending the past five years in the Cleveland and San Diego organizations. Drafted in the eighth round (231st overall) by Cleveland in 2013, he was selected by San Diego in the Rule 5 draft in 2017.
Trevor reached triple-A El Paso in 2017 and was with double-A San Antonio before signing with Seattle. He played at UC Riverside.
Best of luck with your fresh starts, guys.
We conclude the Victoria series tonight, and then visit the Portland Pickles for the first time in team history on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Our next home games are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday vs. Kelowna, and Friday, July 27 vs. the Haysville Hammers.
We have some great promotions scheduled for that four-game homestand.
- Tuesday’s game vs. Kelowna is the 106.3 KLOO-FM Battle of the Interns Night, presented by Snap Fitness. It’s also a 2Towns Tuesday, with special discounts on hard cider and $2 tacos. Game time is 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday’s game vs. Kelowna is Christmas in July, presented by the UPS Store. Wear your favorite ugly sweater and join Santa at the ballpark. Stay after the game for a holiday-themed movie. It’s also a Wine Wednesday, with special discounts on wine, $2 peanuts and $2 general admission tickets for seniors. Game time is 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday’s game vs. Kelowna is Portland Trail Blazers Night, presented by Washington Park Advisors. It’s also a Block 15 Thursday, with special discounts on craft beer and $2 nachos. Game time is 6:30 p.m.
- The July 27 nonleague game vs. Haysville is Alyrica Internet Cap Night. The first 750 fans will receive a free Knights cap. It’s also a Fred Meyer Family Friday and Reading Club Night No. 3. The Corvallis Police and Corvallis Firemen will have their annual game at 5 p.m.
Sunday’s crowd of 1,850 for the series finale against Port Angeles raised the season attendance to 31,036 in 21 dates, an average of 1,478 per opening.
See you at Goss!
Alum Adley Rutschman (2016) of Oregon State hit .321 (9-28) in eight games with Team USA. The team concluded its season on July 13 with a 2-0 victory over Cuba in Havana at the seventh annual International Friendship Series.
And speaking of OSU catchers, alum Logan Ice (2014) has been promoted to Akron of the double-A Eastern League by the Cleveland Indians from Lynchburg of the advanced-A Carolina League.
He was 2-for-3 with a double, a triple, two RBIs, two runs and a walk on Thursday night in a 12-11 win over Richmond, raising his average in double-A to .269.
Kannapolis (A South Atlantic, White Sox) second baseman Nick Madrigal (2015) was 2-for-5 with two runs and two RBIs in a 14-10 loss to Hickory on Thursday to earn Corvallis Knights Minor League Player of the Day honors. Nick is hitting .556 in two games since being promoted from rookie ball. He played at Oregon State.
Honorable mention goes to:
- Oklahoma City (AAA Pacific Coast, Dodgers) catcher Rocky Gale (2007, 2009) was 2-for-3 with a double in a 4-2 loss to New Orleans, raising his average to an even .300. He played at Portland.
- Norfolk (AAA International, Orioles) catcher Andrew Susac (2009) was 1-for-3 with a double and game’s the lone RBI in a 1-0 win over Rochester in the makeup of a game postponed on June 3. He played at OSU.
- Rancho Cucamonga (A California, Dodgers) pitcher Ben (Wetzler) Holmes (2011) allowed one run and had eight strikeouts in 3.2 innings and got a no-decision in a 7-6 win over San Jose. He played at OSU.
St. Mary’s sophomore-to-be shortstop Gio Diaz of the Portland Pickles and San Francisco sophomore-to-be pitcher Haydn King of the Walla Walla Sweets were selected as the Moss Adams Player of the Week and Pitcher of the Week for July 9-16 by commissioner Rob Neyer.
Diaz, who began this week second in the league in hitting with a .362 average, went 12-for-22 with eight runs scored, two doubles, two homers and six RBIs.
King pitched a gem at Portland on July 11th in the Sweets 2-1 win over the first-half South champion Pickles. King struck out 11 over five innings while allowing six hits, one walk and a run in getting a no-decision.
For more on that story, please click here. Congrats to both players.
That’s all for today. Have a great weekend, and we will see you back here, and back at Goss Stadium, on Tuesday.