Happy Monday, everyone, from the world-wide headquarters (WWHQ) of the Corvallis Knights, your 2016 West Coast League champions!
The Knights open a three-game series with Victoria at 6:40 p.m. today. San Jose State signee Nick Morales (0-0, 3.85) gets the start. The series continues at 6:40 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. San Diego righty Louis Crow (0-0, 3.00) gets the start on Tuesday; Portland lefty Jordan Horak (3-0, 2.50) goes on Wednesday.
Victoria is the defending North Division champion. The HarbourCats joined the WCL in 2013. Corvallis won 2 of 3 against the HarbourCats at Royal Athletic Park on June 20-22, outscoring Victoria 28-10.
The Knights lead the all-time series 11-4 and are 4-2 vs. Victoria at Goss Stadium. However, Victoria took 2 of 3 from the Knights in its last visit to Corvallis, on July 23-25, 2016.
The HarbourCats feature left-handed pitcher Claire Eccles, a University of British Columbia junior who is the first woman to play in the WCL. She helped lead Team Canada to the silver medal at the 2016 Women’s Baseball World Cup in South Korea.
Victoria infielder Jake Garella is tied for third in the WCL with three homers. He’s a rising sophomore at St. Louis University from Edwardsville, Ill.
Lots of promotions this week.
- Tonight is Philomath Night, presented by the Philomath Chamber of Commerce.
- Tuesday is Law Enforcement Night, presented by Housley Agency Farmers Insurance.
- Wednesday is Block 15 Koozie Night. The first 500 fans get a free drink koozie.
- Thursday is 106.3 KLOO-FM Star Wars Night presented by COUNTRY Financial. The first 250 kids get a mini lightsaber.
Our total attendance this season is 13,184 for 10 dates, an average of 1,318 per opening. That’s down 1,703 from a corresponding date in 2016.
Lake County (A Midwest, Indians) catcher Logan Ice (2014) was 2-for-4 with a grand slam, a three-run homer, seven RBIs and three runs scored in a 15-6 win over Dayton on Sunday to earn Corvallis Knights Minor League Player of the Day honors. He played at Oregon State. Please click here for more on Logan’s big day.
Honorable mention goes to:
- San Antonio (AA Texas, Padres) outfielder Nick Torres (2012) was 1-for-3 with an RBI in a 5-1 win over Midland. He played at Cal Poly.
- Birmingham (AA Southern, White Sox) pitcher Jace Fry (2011) had a scoreless inning and earned his second hold in a 5-4 win over Montgomery. He played at Oregon State.
- Jupiter (A Florida State, Marlins) pitcher Ben (Wetzler) Holmes pitched a scoreless inning in a 5-2 win over Palm Beach. Ben played at Oregon State.
That’s all for today. See you at the ballpark this week, and back here on Tuesday.