Corvallis, Ore., March 11, 2020 – We have signed George Fox University pitcher Austin Hallman…
Happy Friday, everyone, from the world-wide headquarters (WWHQ) of the Corvallis Knights, your 2016 West Coast League champions!
The Knights defeated Gresham 8-5 on Thursday night in Game 2 of their three-game South Division series at Goss Stadium. The series concludes at 6:40 tonight; UC Irvine righty Cole Spear (2-1, 5.22) goes for Corvallis, opposed by UC Davis lefty Chris Brown (2-0, 4.17).
The five-game homestand end at 6:40 p.m. Saturday with a nonleague game against the Oregon Collegiate Baseball League all-stars.
We have lots of promotions planned.
- Tonight is Les Schwab Portland Trail Blazers Night, presented by Washington Park Advisors. It’s also a Fred Meyer Family Friday. Families can get vouchers at Fred Meyer stores in Corvallis and Albany to be redeemed on Fred Meyer Family Fridays for four reserved seats, four soft drinks, four hot dogs and four popcorns for only $44.
- Saturday is Cap Night, presented by Alyrica Internet. The first 750 fans will receive Knights’ caps.
See you at Goss!
Alum Andy Atwood (2016) is transferring to Texas-Rio Grande Valley after two seasons at Oregon State. An infielder/outfielder, Andy was a key member of our 2016 WCL championship team and earned second-team all-WCL honors. Click here for more details.
Tickets for our WCL Divisional Series home playoff game set for Wednesday, Aug. 9, are now available. The WCL playoffs are powered by Pioneer. For tickets, click here; for more information, click here.
Time to update the stats of our alums in the minor leagues. We did the position players on Thursday; today we do the pitchers.
MAX BEATTY (A Winston-Salem, White Sox): The righty from Pacific Lutheran (2010-12) is 2-4, 4.66 in 12 games, with 34 strikeouts in 46.1 innings.
CAMERON BISHOP (A Aberdeen, Orioles): Already promoted from the rookie-level Gulf Coast League Orioles, the lefty from UC Irvine (2015-16) is 0-0, 0.00 in one game, with two strikeouts in 2.2 innings with his new New York-Penn League club.
CASEY BLOOMQUIST (A Myrtle Beach, Cubs): The righty from Cal Poly (2013) is 3-4, 6.75 in 23 games, with two saves and 46 strikeouts in 57.1 innings.
NICK DURON (A Lowell, Red Sox): The righty from Clark CC (2014) is 1-3, 5.16 in six games, with 15 strikeouts in 22.2 innings.
TREVOR FRANK (A Lake Elsinore, Padres): The righty from UC Riverside (2012) is 2-1, 3.86 in 30 games, with six saves and 46 strikeouts in 37.1 innings.
JACE FRY (AA Birmingham, White Sox): The lefty from Oregon State (2011) is 0-1, 3.69 in 24 games, with a save and 40 strikeouts in 31.2 innings.
SAM GAVIGLIO (AAA Tacoma, Mariners): The righty from Oregon State (2009) is 3-4, 3.68 in seven games, with 35 strikeouts in 44 innings.
TED HAMMOND (A Everett, Mariners): The righty from Seattle U (2015) is 0-0, 6.91 in 11 games, with 11 strikeouts in 14.1 innings.
BEN (Wetzler) HOLMES (A Jupiter, Marlins): The lefty from Oregon State (2011) is 0-5, 4.29 in 25 games, with 45 strikeouts in 56.2 innings.
CHASE JOHNSON (AAA Sacramento, Giants): The righty from Cal Poly (2011) is 0-2, 4.35 in six games, with nine strikeouts in 10.1 innings.
DJ JOHNSON (AA Hartford, Rockies): The lefty from Mt. Hood CC (2008-09) is 1-1, 2.88 in 34 games, with three saves and 37 strikeouts in 50 innings.
SLATER LEE (ARL ATHLETICS): The righty from Cal Poly (2015) is 1-0, 3.60 in seven games, with a save and 11 strikeouts in 10 innings.
GREG MAHLE (AA Mobile, Angels): The lefty from UC Santa Barbara (2012) is 3-0, 2.82 in 18 games, with four saves and 20 strikeouts in 22.1 innings.
STEPHEN NOGOSEK (A Salem, Red Sox): The righty from Oregon (2013) is 2-1, 4.32 in 12 games, with five saves and 17 strikeouts in 16.2 innings.
JIMMIE SHERFY (AAA Reno, Diamondbacks): The righty from Oregon (2011) is 2-0, 2.15 in 34 games, with 15 saves and 49 strikeouts in 37.2 innings.
AUSTIN SODDERS (A Lakeland, Tigers): The lefty from Riverside CC (2014) is 1-2, 1.13 in five games, with 25 strikeouts in 32 innings.
RYLEY WIDELL (R Elizabethton, Twins): The lefty from Washington State (2016) is 0-0, 1.50 in two games, with six strikeouts in six innings.
Colorado Springs (AAA Pacific Coast, Brewers) catcher Andrew Susac (2009) was 3-for-4 with a double, a run and three RBIs in a 16-9 win over Tacoma on Thursday to earn Corvallis Knights Minor League Player of the Day honors. He played at Oregon State.
Honorable mention goes to:
- Montgomery (AA Southern, Rays) first baseman Dalton Kelly (2014) was 2-for-4 with a run and a walk in a 6-3 win over Tennessee. He played at UC Santa Barbara.
- El Paso (AAA Pacific Coast, Padres) catcher Rocky Gale (2007, 2009) was 1-for-3 with an RBI and a walk in a 6-5 loss to Iowa. He played at Portland.
- Mobile (AA Southern, Angels) pitcher Greg Mahle (2012) struck out one in a scoreless ninth inning and got his fourth save in a 4-2 win over Jackson. He played at UCSB.
- Lake County (A Midwest, Indians) catcher Logan Ice (2014) was 1-for-2 with a run, an RBI and two walks in a 9-7 win over South Bend. He played at OSU.
- Palm Beach (A Florida State, Cardinals) outfielder Blake Drake (2013) was 1-for-4 with a double and an RBI in a 10-4 loss to Tampa. He played at Concordia.
- Salem (A Carolina, Red Sox) pitcher Stephen Nogosek (2013) had two strikeouts in two scoreless innings and earned his fifth save in a 6-5 win over Frederick.
That’s all for today. Have a great weekend, see you at the ballpark tonight and Saturday night, and back here on Monday.