Corvallis, Ore., March 11, 2020 – We have signed George Fox University pitcher Austin Hallman…
Happy Thursday, everyone, from the world-wide headquarters (WWHQ) of the Corvallis Knights, your 2016-2017 West Coast League champions!
Alum Jace Fry (2011), a left-handed pitcher who played at Birmingham, the Chicago White Sox’ affiliate in the double-A Southern League this season, will play for the Glendale Desert Dogs in the Arizona Fall League. The AFL is for the top prospects in each organization.
The AFL season starts on Oct. 10 and runs through Nov. 18. The Desert Dogs play at Camelback Ranch in Glendale. Jace is a former Oregon State standout who was ranked at the WCL’s No. 1 pro prospect by Baseball America and Perfect Game following his season with the Knights.
Lots of MLB moves involving Knights’ alums.
- Tampa Bay has activated pitcher Matt Andriese (2009) from the 60-day disabled list. The right-hander from UC Riverside – the WCL Pitcher of the Year and our Knights Top Pitcher in 2009 – had been sidelined since May 31 with a strained groin. He was 5-1, 3.38 in 13 games, with a save and 55 strikeouts in 64 innings.
- The Los Angeles Angels have placed relief pitcher Bud Norris (2005) on the 10-day disabled list with an inflamed right knee. The Cal Poly product is 2-5, 4.41 in 54 games, with 19 saves and 63 strikeouts in 51 innings.
- Milwaukee has sent catcher Andrew Susac (2009) to Wisconsin in the Class A Midwest league on a rehab assignment. The one-time OSU star has played at triple-A Colorado Springs and recently spent several weeks with Milwaukee this season.
Time to update the stats of our minor-league Knights. We will do the position players today, and the pitchers on Friday.
TAYLOR ARD (AA Jacksonville, Marlins): The utility player from Mt. Hood/Washington State (2009) is hitting .216 (78-361) in 120 games, with 12 homers and 48 RBIs.
ANDY COSGROVE (R Elizabethton, Twins): The catcher from Washington/North Carolina State (2014) is hitting .230 (17-74) in 20 games, with a homer and eight RBIs.
BLAKE DRAKE (A Palm Beach, Cardinals): The outfielder from Concordia (2013) is hitting .246 (75-305) in 80 games, with seven homers and 27 RBIs.
NATE ESPOSITO (A Lakewood, Royals): The catcher from Oregon State/Concordia (2012) is hitting .235 (50-217) in 65 games, with no homers and 16 RBIs.
ROCKY GALE (AAA El Paso, Padres): The catcher from Portland (2007, 2009) is hitting .278 (93-334) in 101 games, with two homers and 37 RBIs.
ROMAN GARCIA (R Greeneville, Astros): The first baseman from San Diego (2016) is hitting .276 (47-170) in 47 games, with seven homers and 27 RBIs.
CADE GOTTA (AA Montgomery, Rays): The outfielder from San Diego Christian (2011) is hitting .282 (93-330) in 90 games, with five homers and 47 RBIs.
KJ HARRISON (R Helena, Brewers): The first baseman from Oregon State (2015) is hitting .318 (49-154) in 40 games, with eight homers and 25 RBIs.
DANNY HAYES (AAA Charlotte, White Sox): The first baseman from Oregon State (2010) is hitting .230 (98-426) in 112 games, with 19 homers and 67 RBIs.
LOGAN ICE (A Lake County, Indians): The catcher from Oregon State (2014) is hitting .225 (69-306) in 90 games, with 11 homers and 40 RBIs.
DALTON KELLY (AA Montgomery, Rays): The outfielder from UC Santa Barbara (2014) is hitting .311 (56-180) in 50 games, with seven homers and 35 RBIs.
CHRIS RABAGO (A Lancaster, Rockies): The catcher from UC Irvine (2012-13) is hitting .271 (81-299) in 87 games, with one homer and 43 RBIs.
CHRIS SHAW (A Delmarva, Orioles): The catcher from Midland CC (2014) is hitting .192 (19-99) in 26 games, with two homers and 14 RBIs.
ANDREW SUSAC (A Wisconsin, Brewers): The catcher from Oregon State (2009) is hitting .333 (1-3) in one game, with a homer and two RBIs. He is on an injury rehab stint from triple-A Colorado Springs.
NICK TORRES (AA San Antonio, Padres): The outfielder from Cal Poly (2012) is hitting .271 (114-421) in 114 games, with 11 homers and 60 RBIs.
PETER VAN GANSEN (A Lake Elsinore, Padres): The infielder from Cal Poly (2013) is back in advanced A after a month at triple-A El Paso. He is hitting .234 (39-167) in 47 games, with a homer and 21 RBIs.
KEVIN WATSON (ARL DIAMONDBACKS): The outfielder from Beaverton HS (2017) is hitting .174 (4-23) in nine games, with no homers or RBIs.
CALEB WHALEN (A Carolina, Brewers): The infielder from Portland (2012) is hitting .148 (4-27) in nine games, with no homers and one RBI.
San Antonio (AA Texas, Padres) outfielder Nick Torres (2012) was 3-for-5 with two RBIs in a 5-3 win over Midland on Wednesday to earn Corvallis Knights Minor League Player of the Day honors. He played at Cal Poly.
Honorable mention goes to:
- Reno (AAA Pacific Coast, Diamondbacks) closer Jimmie Sherfy struck out one in a scoreless ninth and earned his 20th save in a 7-6 win over Albuquerque. He played at Oregon.
- El Paso (AAA Pacific Coast, Padres) catcher Rocky Gale (2007, 2009) was 2-for-5 with a double and a run in a 9-8 win over Fresno. He played at Portland.
- Montgomery (AA Southern, Rays) first baseman Dalton Kelly (2014) was 1-for-2 with three runs and three walks in an 8-4 win over Mobile. He played at UC Santa Barbara.
- Elizabethton (R Appalachian, Twins) pitcher Ryley Widell had eight strikeouts and allowed two runs in four innings in a 7-3 win over Kingsport. He got a no-decision. Ryley played at Washington State and at Central Arizona JC.
Former Klamath Falls Gems/Medford Rogues official Chuck Heeman has surfaced as the owner/operator of the new Aberdeen, S.D. franchise in the start-up Expedition League (Summer Collegiate), a 10-team circuit that hopes to start next summer in the upper Midwest. Click here for more details, from Ballpark Business.
That’s all for today. See you on Friday.